The University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences has developed a series of online tours featuring many of the college’s research contributions to the agricultural and life-sciences industries in Wisconsin and beyond.
Agricultural Dean’s House and Allen Centennial Garden
620 Babcock Drive, Madison
A yellow-brick house built in 1896 was the private residence of the first dean of the college, William Arnon Henry. It served as the residence of deans who followed him until 1945, when then-dean Edwin Broun Fred became university president. He continued to live in the house after retiring as president.
UW’s agricultural-research-station offices occupied the house beginning in 1980. The building, which is adjacent to Allen Centennial Garden, currently provides basic needs with public bathrooms, changing rooms for wedding parties, office space for horticultural staff and student interns, and space for the garden’s volunteers.
A diversity of plants can be found in Allen Centennial Garden surrounding the house. The garden serves as a place for gatherings and ceremonies such as weddings. Allen Garden is supported by a substantial gift from Ethel Allen, who, along with her husband, Oscar Allen, was a member of the bacteriology department at UW-Madison.
Visit pocketsights.com/tours/tour/University-of-Wisconsin-Madison-West-CALS-2011 for more information.
Agri-View featured the stock pavilion in the March 7 issue.