The University of Wisconsin-Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences has developed a series of online tours featuring many of the college’s research contributions to the agricultural and life-sciences industries in Wisconsin and beyond.
Stovall Building –
Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene
465 Henry Mall
The Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene was established in 1903 to provide facilities and expertise in the diagnosis of diseases common in Wisconsin at the time — such as typhoid, diphtheria, rabies, anthrax and glanders. The laboratory also was established to examine milk and water quality. The laboratory was housed in several different campus buildings until the Stovall Building was built in 1953.
Harry L. Russell served as the laboratory director until 1907, when he became dean of the UW-Madison College of Agriculture. William S. Stovall became director of the laboratory in 1918 and served as director until 1962. The Wisconsin State Laboratory of Hygiene has since expanded to multiple locations. It has evolved to undertake numerous functions vital to environmental health – analytical services, research and development, public-health programs, laboratory-proficiency testing, and training and education of students and professionals. The Stovall Building houses the laboratory’s administrative offices as well as newborn screening, biochemical genetics, cytogenetics and cytology laboratories.
Visit pocketsights.com/tours/tour/Historic-Henry-Mall-District-1905 for more information. Visit www.youtube.com and search for CPahWbKdiO8 to watch a video of historical plaques at the UW-Madison College of Agricultural and Life Sciences.
Agri-View featured the Genetics Building in the July 4 issue.