WASHINGTON (AP) – President Donald Trump says he has reached an agreement with Mexico that will put on hold the tariffs he threatened on Mexican imports earlier in the week. The State Department says Mexico will take “unprecedented steps” to “curb irregular migration,” including deploying its National Guard along its southern border. The United States says Mexico “is also taking decisive action to dismantle human smuggling and trafficking organizations.”
The United States will work to greatly expand a program that returns asylum-seekers who cross the southern border to Mexico while their claims are adjudicated.
Trump tweeted Friday night he would hold off on a 5 percent tariff on all Mexican imports that was set to take effect Monday. The State Department says the two nations will continue their discussion to curb illegal migration to the United States.