OPINION The Wisconsin Assembly approved June 25 the biennial budget with a 60-39 vote. The Wisconsin Senate approved the biennial budget June 26 with a 17-16 vote.
The Wisconsin Farm Bureau would like to thank the state legislature for passing a state budget that includes support for several key agricultural items.
The biennial budget bill includes:
- $8.9 million for the University of Wisconsin-Dairy Innovation Hub
- Four new positions at Wisconsin’s Department of Natural Resources to operate the concentrated-animal-feeding-operation program
- $1 million during the biennium to fund the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection’s producer-led watershed-grant program
- $700,000 in funding during the biennium for the Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium
- $90 million in bonding to support the UW-School of Veterinary Medicine renovation
- One-time funding of $95 million in general funds for local road projects
- Three additional positions to support the hemp program, including one-time funding of $300,000 for testing equipment
- Funding for farmer mental-health assistance
Wis. Gov. Tony Evers has called for the Assembly to send him the biennial-budget bill. Once it’s enrolled it will be received by the governor for his consideration.