Planting season is coming closer and closer every day. We’ve been out delivering seed and cleaning fence lines this past week at the farm. Equipment is coming out of the sheds next week while others have been starting to do some field work.
I took a trip to a client by Burlington, Wisconsin. I saw much more activity with anhydrous going on and alfalfa being planted. We did see a neighbor start putting on anhydrous on sandy ground around Pabst Farms near Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. I’ve also been out checking alfalfa and winter-wheat stands for winter survival as well as obtaining stem and tiller counts. It seems most winter wheat has come through winter in much better shape than we had thought, what with the late planting and the cold wet fall we had. Outside of wet holes and washouts wheat looks decent at this point. Though we’re still waiting for full green-up to be sure. Alfalfa has shown little frost heaving and is just now starting to green up.
Our plan this year is to try some variable-rate nitrogen on a few farms using nitrogen modeling. After putting all of our yield data in and setting the crops on each field we will be planning what hybrids go where this week. We do have several other trials going on this season. I’ll try to fill everyone in as we go, to show what successes or issues we run into. Let’s hope this dry weather continues for once.