The attractions are many at the 43rd Iowa Beef Expo.
“We think we have something for everyone,” says Jim Venner, a producer from Breda and president of the Iowa Beef Breeds Council.
The annual winter event kicks off Sunday, Feb. 10, and runs through Feb. 17 at the State Fairgrounds in Des Moines.
Venner says attendees will be greeted with the unmistakable smell of barbecued beef on opening day.
“This is our second year with the barbecue contest, and we expect even more contestants,” he says. “We did this to let the public in central Iowa know about the expo, and we’d love to have them come out and enjoy some beef with us.”
He says the rest of the schedule remains similar to last year.
“We have a tremendous trade show, and the exhibitors have pretty much anything you are going to need,” Venner says.
Two new events are a pen-of-three heifer sale and an embryo sale.
“We are really excited about these new events. We’re really looking forward to it,” Venner says.
Big numbers are also expected for the junior show.
“We have one of the largest junior shows in the Midwest,” Venner says. “We expect to have a lot of youth involved in it once again.”
Commercial exhibits are open daily at 9 a.m. and close at 5 p.m.
Iowa Beef Expo Schedule
Sunday, Feb. 10
- Judging contest, registration at 7:30 a.m., contest at 9 a.m., Pavilion
- Barbecue contest, noon
- Iowa Simmental video parade, 1 p.m., Penningroth
- Charolais video parade, 2 p.m., Pavilion
Monday, Feb. 11
- Trade show opens, 9 a.m.
- Iowa Simmental sale, 11:30 a.m., Penningroth
- Charolais sale, 1:30 p.m., North Annex
- Red Angus video parade, 3 p.m., Pavilion
- Iowa Royal Shorthorn video parade, 3 p.m., Penningroth
Tuesday, Feb. 12
- Gelbvieh parade, 10 a.m., Pavilion
- Iowa Limousin video parade, 11 a.m., Pavilion
- Iowa Royal Shorthorn sale, 11 a.m., Penningroth
- Red Angus preview, noon, barn stalls
- Maine-Anjou video parade, 1 p.m., Pavilion
- Red Angus Classic sale, 1 p.m., North Annex
- Salers video parade, 2 p.m., Pavilion
- Gelbvieh sale, 2 p.m., Penningroth
Wednesday, Feb. 13
- Iowa Angus show, 9:30 a.m., Pavilion
- Salers evaluation, 10 a.m., Pavilion
- Limousin sale, noon, Penningroth
- Iowa Salers sale, 1 p.m., North Annex
- Maine-Anjou sale, 2:30 p.m., North Annex
Thursday, Feb. 14
- Iowa Select Hereford parade, 8 a.m.
- Iowa Angus sale, 11 am., Penningroth
- Iowa Select Hereford sale, 11:30 a.m., North Annex
- Pen of Three sale, 3 p.m., Penningroth.
Friday, Feb. 15
- All junior events in Pavilion with cattle check-in 7:30-11 a.m.
- Donors on Ice Annual Sale of Elite Genetics, 7 p.m., North Annex.
Saturday, Feb. 16, and Sunday, Feb. 17
- Expo Junior Show, Pavilion.
For more information, visit https://iowabeefexpo.com/schedule/.