In a nice twist from the norm for “What’s This,” Roger Vech’s two piece rope pulling device has been correctly identified by three keen Lee Agri-Media readers.

Vech, a Verdigre, Neb. native, submitted the two part device wanting to know what it was used for but had a feeling ropes were used.

According to Joe Farquhar, George Albin and Marcy Hageman, the device is called a hay sling latch.

The sling was used to pull loose hay into the barn.

Albin wrote: “You pull the rope up in the haymow of the barn and get the heck out of the way.”

Thanks everybody!

Sign up for our Weekly newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.