Spaghetti Sauce Without Meat
- 30 pounds tomatoes
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery or green pepper, chopped
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 4½ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 4 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
CAUTION: Do not increase the proportions of onions, peppers or mushrooms.
- Wash the tomatoes.
- Dip them in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until the skins split
- Dip them in cold water.
- Slip off the skins, quarter and remove the cores.
- Boil 20 minutes uncovered in a large saucepan.
- Put the tomatoes through a food mill or sieve.
- Saute the onions, garlic, celery or peppers and mushrooms (if desired) in vegetable oil until tender.
- Combine the sauteed vegetables and tomatoes and add the remainder of the spices, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered until thick enough for serving. (Note: At this time, the initial volume will have been reduced by nearly one-half.)
- Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Fill jars, leaving 1 inch of head space.
- Adjust the lids and process according to Table 2
About 9 pints