Thanks to Dorothy Sonksen for submitting this recipe!
1 stick butter or oleo
½ cup ground flax seed meal
1 cup sugar
2 tsp soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
4 cups chopped unpeeled apples (about ½ inch pieces)
1 cup walnuts and 1 cup raisins (optional)
Coconut, if desired
Combine ¼ cup brown sugar, ¼ cup white sugar and ½ tsp cinnamon for topping and bottom of cake
1. Beat together the butter, flax seed, 1 cup sugar and eggs.
2. Add the soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and flours, and mix together well. Dough will be quite stiff.
3. Add apples, raisins and nuts to dough and stir thoroughly.
4. Sprinkle half of the topping mixture in a greased 9x13 pan. Pour in the dough and sprinkle remaining topping over the top of the cake dough.
5. Bake at 350 degrees about 30-45 minutes or until it looks done and a toothpick comes out clean when cake is pierced. Can serve warm with whipped topping, cream or plain.