- 5 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 ½ cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 lb yellow squash, cut into ¼ inch thick slices (about 3 ½ cups)
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup cooked quinoa
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- 1 ½ tsps. Chopped fresh thyme
- ¾ tsp salt, divided
- 3 oz aged Gruyere cheese, shredded (about ¾ cup)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 (12 oz) beefsteak tomato, seeded and cut into 8 slices
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 4 tsps olive oil, swirl to coat. Add onion, cook for three minutes. Add bell pepper, cook two minutes. Add squash and garlic, cook four minutes. Place vegetable mixture in a large bowl. Stir in quinoa, ¼ basil, thyme, ½ tsp salt, and black pepper.
3. Combine remaining ¼ tsp salt, milk, cheese, and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to vegetable mixture, stirring until just combined. Spoon mixture into an 11x7 glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
4. Arrange tomato evenly over vegetable mixture. Top evenly with breadcrumbs. Bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or until topping is browned. Sprinkle with ¼ cup basil.