As I write this on April 15, we are finally farming at full speed. All the area wheat has been top dressed. If the wheat got planted at least a couple of days before the big rain we had the first week of October and if the field drained enough that the wheat didn’t flood out, it all looks really good. Last week, I went out to western Kansas to north of Hoxie to pick up an implement and the wheat on the entire trip looked good.
We may be farming at full speed spraying burn downs and applying fertilizer, but we are having to jump around between fields that will carry. On our irrigated corn ground, we have decided to put on anhydrous and then follow that with a vertical tillage tool; on our dryland corn, we are going to no-till it in and then come back with a liquid side-dress rig. We went back and forth on how to get the nitrogen on our dryland corn. Our crop scout was really pushing us to use a n-inhibitor if we spread dry and left it on top, and the nine cents a unit or nine bucks an acre that added to the costs didn’t seem like a good option when other options where available to us. We could have used the VT tool to work the urea in and then plant right away, but I would prefer to no-till at this point. Farming decisions come down to cost, time, and what tools do you have access to. If I didn’t have a liquid tool, I would have spread dry, if I had a low disturbance NH3 side dress rig I would have used that over the liquid rig.
There has been some corn planted in the area but very minimal, it was mostly on ground that was stripped during a one-week window around Christmas. I think planting in the area will start in earnest this week depending on rain. I have two more fields of irrigated corn to put anhydrous on and once that is done, I will start planting dryland corn.
Cash basis: wheat -28, corn -28, soybeans -109, milo -70. — Adam Baldwin