Looking forward to calving season, producers are invited to brush up on their knowledge with a series of classes hosted by Kansas State University this winter.
The program will outline overall calving management that includes stages of the normal calving process and tips to handle difficult calving situations. K-State Research and Extension beef veterinarian A.J. Tarpoff said the event will increase knowledge, practical skills and the number of live calves born.
“Our goal is for producers to leave better prepared for calving season,” Tarpoff said. “We will discuss timelines on when to examine cows for calving problems, and when to call your vet for help if things are not going well. It’s an excellent program regardless of experience level.”
Presenters will also demonstrate proper use of calving equipment on a life-size cow and calf model. Several of the meetings will cover such topics such body condition scoring cows, colostrum management and animal health product storage and handling.
The schedule includes:
• Tuesday, Nov. 19, 5:30 p.m., Morris County Fairgrounds Community Building, Council Grove, Kansas; RSVP to Flint Hills Extension District at 785-767-5136, or email Shannon Ney at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Tuesday, Dec. 10, evening, Alfalfa County Fairgrounds, Cherokee, Oklahoma; RSVP to Barber County Extension Office at 620-886-3971, or email Justin Goodno at email@example.com
• Thursday, Jan. 9, evening, Edwards County Fair Building, Kinsley, Kansas; RSVP to Edwards County Extension Office at 620-659-2149, or email Martin Gleason at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Tuesday, Jan. 14, evening, Franklin County Fairgrounds, Celebration Hall, Ottawa, Kansas; RSVP to Marais des Cygnes District Extension Office at 913-294-4306, or email Katelyn Barthol at email@example.com
• Thursday, Jan. 16, midday, Lane County Fair Building, Dighton, Kansas; RSVP to Walnut Creek District Extension Office at 785-222-2710, or email Jared Petersilie at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Thursday, Jan. 16, Trego County Fairgrounds, Commercial Building, Wakeeney, Kansas; RSVP to Golden Prairie District Extension Office at 785-743-6361, or email Clint Bain at email@example.com
• Thursday, Jan. 23, KSU Polytechnic College Center, Salina, Kansas; RSVP to Central Kansas District Extension Office at 785-309-5850, or email Cade Rensink at firstname.lastname@example.org
Those interested in attending are asked to pre-register by contacting the local site. More information is available at KSUBeef.org