May is “Beef Month” in South Dakota. This tradition began more than 40 years ago and recognizes beef farmers and ranchers for providing a wholesome beef product to millions of consumers all over the world, making it one of South Dakota’s largest economic sectors.
From beef producers to feed manufacturers, equipment dealers and food marketers, thousands of South Dakotans play a role in bringing beef from pasture to plate.
There is plenty of good news about beef this month, and every month. Thanks in part to the beef checkoff, paid by South Dakota beef producers, we have research that supports findings that protein, like that enjoyed in lean beef, plays an increasingly important role in muscle maintenance, weight management, and the prevention of chronic diseases. Research also shows the iron, zinc and B vitamins found in beef play an essential role in developing and maintaining cognitive ability in children and adults.
On average, a 3-ounce serving of beef, which is about the size of an iPhone, provides more than 10 essential nutrients such as protein, iron, zinc and vitamins B12 and B6. One serving of beef contains about half of your daily value for protein in around 170 calories on average (and approximately just 150 calories for a serving of lean beef).
Beef Month in May also signifies the beginning of the summer grilling season. Many people across the state especially love beef on the grill. Grilling is an easy way to prepare a healthy meal in minutes. Be sure to take advantage of seasonal fresh fruits and vegetables to help complete your family’s beef meal.
May is a month of celebrations, such as graduations, Mother’s Day and Memorial Day. Give this recipe for grilled beef tostadas a try. These tasty tostadas are easy to prepare and assemble for a weeknight meal or a weekend party.
For more information contact Holly Swee, RD, LN Director of Nutrition and Consumer Information for the South Dakota Beef Industry Council at 605-224-4722 or www.sdbeef.org.
Grilled Beef Tostadas
• 1 beef Strip Steak Boneless, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 8 ounces each)
• 1-1/4 cups HERDEZ Casera Salsa salsa
• 4 small corn tortillas (5 to 6 inch diameter), toasted
• 1 cup no-salt-added refried beans
• 1 cup thinly sliced iceberg lettuce
• 1/4 cup crumbled Cotija cheese
• 1/4 cup diced red onion or pickled red onion
1. Place beef steak and 1/2 cup Herdez® Casera Salsa in food-safe plastic bag; turn steak to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.
2. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on grid over medium, ash covered coals. Grill, covered, 7 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 10 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
3. Remove; let stand 5 minutes. Cut steaks lengthwise in thirds, then crosswise into 1/4-inch thick pieces.
4. Spread each tortilla with 1/4 cup refried beans. Top with lettuce, beef and remaining 3/4 cup salsa. Sprinkle with cheese and onion.
Recipe courtesy of the Beef Checkoff at www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com