Draft horse show

Horse owners traveling with their horses now have an alternative to meeting health requirements for traveling between states.

Instead of having a certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI or health certificate) on hand, which is valid for up to 30 days, owners can get an Extended Equine Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (EECVI), which is valid for up to six months.

The extended certificate allows horse owners to move their horse between participating states for show, rodeo, trail riding and other short-term events, but it's not valid for other interstate movement, such as sale or breeding.

Horse owners can acquire an EECVI from their participating veterinarian, who will complete an examination of the horse and discuss biosecurity, sanitation and equine health. The horse must also have a current negative Coggins test (for equine infectious anemia) as well as an official identification which may include a microchip approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, digital photographs, or a lifetime brand inspection card from the South Dakota Brand Board.

Prior to interstate movement, the owner of the horse will log into an online portal and report travel itineraries for horses traveling on an EECVI.

Upon reporting travel, the portal may notify the owner of any additional requirements, disease concerns or precautions listed by the state of destination. A permit is automatically generated and the state animal health offices in the states of origin and destination are notified of the movement.