Family Fun Saturday programs are back at the Cultural Heritage in Pierre with many new activities and topics.
There is no fee to participate in the programs, and entry to the museum is free while the program is being conducted.
“It’s been great to see all the return visitors we get for the Family Fun Saturdays, as well as the many new visitors and families we see each year,” said Jay Smith, museum director. “These days offer a quick craft and the opportunity for everyone to come and enjoy the museum exhibits. If you haven’t tried one yet, I encourage you to come on in for any of these events.”
Here are dates and themes:
• March 9 – In Like a Lion: Learn about everyday idioms (in like a lion, out like a lamb) and make your own lamb and lion.
• April 13 – Eggstravaganza: Celebrate spring and learn the history of egg decorating as you design your own egg.
• May 11 – Happy Birthday, Cultural Heritage Center!: Celebrate the center’s 30th birthday and decorate a CHC of your own.
• June 8 – Branding Time!: Learn about cattle brands and create one of your own.
• July 13 – Flowers in Bloom: Celebrate summer by making colorful flowers.
• Aug. 10 – Harvest Time: Celebrate the harvest by making your own traditional harvest ornament.
• Sept. 7 – Quillwork: Learn about American Indian quillwork and create a design of your own.
• Sept. 14 – Traditional Arts Day: See several artists demonstrate their traditional arts.
• Oct. 19 – Flying Pheasants: Make a corncob pheasant dart.
• Nov. 2 – Make-and-Take a Holiday Ornament: Take part in our annual tradition by making an ornament for our tree and one (or more) to take home.
Most Family Fun Days are held on Saturdays from 10-11:30 a.m., except for Sept. 14 and Nov. 2 events, both of which will run from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
The museum is open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 1-4:30 p.m. on Sundays and most holidays. Call 605-773-3458 for more information.